Tuesday 15 February 2011

Achy breaky heart: Billy Ray Cyrus scared for Miley


If you're looking for bizarre confessions in Billy Ray Cyrus' new GQ profile, take your pick. Did you know, for instance, that Daddy Montana was pals with Kurt Cobain? Or that "were it not for David Lynch, (daughter Miley Cyrus) would never have been Hannah Montana?" Or that he's honoured to have created the legendary mullet "the Kentucky Waterfall?"

Still, of all the things Cyrus says in his extensive interview with the magazine's Chris Heath, it's the country singer's (very worried) thoughts about superstar progeny Miley that come as the real revelation.

"(Hannah Montana) destroyed my family. I'll tell you right now - the damn show destroyed my family," Cyrus confessed to GQ, talking about the Disney kid-com that made his daughter a wealthy star.

That said, Cyrus, who co-starred on the show, told the mag: "I've never made a dime off of Miley."

The country singer's 17-year marriage to Miley's mom, Tish, ended last year. And as for Miley herself, the 18-year-old tween idol's oft-scandalous growing pains continue to be played out in the public eye.

When asked if he wished Hannah Montana had never happened, Cyrus replied: "I hate to say it, but yes, I do. Yeah. I'd take it back in a second. For my family to be here and just be everybody OK, safe and sound and happy and normal, would have been fantastic," he said. "Heck, yeah. I'd erase it all in a second if I could."

As for how Miley's been lately, a quick perusal of our Celebrity news section should offer a primer. Her own dad, though, isn't usually first to get the news. Cyrus reveals to GQ that he doesn't always hear from Miley - or her handlers - about what she's up to. In the GQ article, Cyrus talks about trying to reach Miley's handlers after getting wind of a November photo scandal (one that featured the then-17-year-old allegedly boozing in Madrid).

"They told me it was none of my business," Cyrus said. "I'm dealing with somebody that had only known my daughter for possibly four years," he continued, "and I'm her daddy. I was pretty damn insulted. And I took that as the ultimate alarm."

Cyrus, who even compares his daughter's situation to those of pop culture's most troubling cautionary tales - Michael Jackson, Anna Nicole Smith, Kurt Cobain - says that he's "scared" for Miley.

"She's got a lot of people around her that's putting her in a great deal of danger. I know she's 18, but I still feel like as her daddy I'd like to try to help. Take care of her just a little bit, to at least get her out of danger."

"I should have been a better parent," he told GQ. "I should have said, 'Enough is enough - it's getting dangerous and somebody's going to get hurt.' I should have, but I didn't ... Honestly, I didn't know the ball was out of bounds until it was way up in the stands somewhere."

No comments:

Post a Comment